Asian eggplants are best to use for this recipe. Prick the eggplants all around with the tines of a fork. Cook the eggplant under the broiler for about 5 minutes on each side or until the eggplant is soft to the touch. Remove the skin of the eggplant.
Ingredients for the filling. The filling I make is never the same, it depends on what is available in the refrigerator. Here’s the basic.
- 1 lb ground lean meat, your choice. For a vegetarian version, use 1 block of crumbled tofu.
- 1/2 c chopped onions. Sweet onion or Vidalia is the choice onion in my kitchen.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 c green peas
- 1/3 c raisins
- 1 small potato, diced the size of peas.
- 1 T soy sauce. I like using the light soy sauce.
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t dried oregano or basil or Italian seasoning. I use about 2 T of chopped fresh oregano or basil whichever is available in the garden.
- sea salt
- ground pepper or red pepper flakes
- Brown the potatoes in 1 T oil. Olive oil or canola is the choice in my kitchen. Set aside.
- In the same pan, with whatever oil left from the potato, brown the meat. Remove excess fat from the meat, if any.
- Continue sauteing by adding the garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is clear.
- Season with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. When cooked, add the potatoes.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 T water
- sea salt and pepper
Beat the eggs with the water, slowly add the flour, beating after each addition until smooth