These are bread or rolls with meat filling. I make either beef menudo or chicken soy sauce or chicken adobo. The filling must be pre-cooked before filling the dough.
Prepare the dough.
- 1 C water
- 3 C bread flour
- 3 T powdered milk
- 3 T sugar
- 2 T butter
- 1 t salt
- 2 1/2 t instant yeast
Put all the ingredients in the bread maker in the order listed. Set to dough. Alternatively, mix all the ingredients and knead in a mixer or by hand kneading until dough is soft and pliable. Put in greased bowl. cover and rise until double.
Cut the dough into 12 – 15 pieces about the size of a golf ball. Flatten each piece and put 3 T of filling in the center. Gather the edges and tuck underneath, seal with water. Put each filled dough in a piece of wax paper, about 3 inches square with the seal on the bottom.
Make an egg wash with 1 egg yolk and 1 T water. Brush the top of each roll before baking.
Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Meat filling: Beef Menudo
- 1/2 lb sirloin or any low-fat piece, cut in very small cubes or use ground meat
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red sweet pepper, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 t dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf or 2 pieces fresh leaves
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t sea salt
- ground pepper
Cook the filling and cool before filling the dough.
- In 2 T canola oil, fry the potato until brown. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 T oil and saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the meat and herbs cook until the meat browns
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Season according to taste.