Bamboo shoots are available in Asian stores either canned or in sealed plastic bags. I used to get them fresh in New York Chinatown. The canned type is the least of my preference. Bamboo shoots have a distinct smell, if you can not tolerate the smell, soak the sliced shoots in a quart of water with 2 T white vinegar for 15 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain.
What you need are:
- 1 pack (25 pieces) spring roll wrapper,
- 3 C bamboo shoots, julienne cuts
- 1 1/2 C carrots, julienne cuts
- 1/4 C black fungus mushrooms, soak in water for 15 minutes, then chopped.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Choice of flavor: 1 C shelled, chopped shrimps; 1/2 lb. ground chicken; 2 blocks of tofu, cut into small strips will make this a wonderful vegetarian dish
- Canola oil for frying
Pre-cook the filling.
- In a pan, heat 1 T of oil. Saute the garlic and onion until the onion is wilted or clear.
- Add the choice of flavor and the chopped fungus mushrooms. Saute until cooked.
- Add the carrots and shoots. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Cook for 5 minutes, turning over, until wilted. Do not cover as it will generate liquid.
- Remove from the pan and cool.
Wrap the eggroll.
- Follow the rolling instruction printed on the package.
- Put about 1/4 cup filling on the center of the wrapper, positioned on the diagonal.
- Roll and seal the end with water.
Fry on a heated pan, set to medium heat, with about 1/2 inch of oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
I serve this with either a spicy vinegar-soy sauce or sweet chili sauce. The sweet chili sauce is available in Asian food stores which I usually dilute in water to cut down the sweetness and lighten the consistency for better dipping. The vinegar-soy sauce is simply a mixture of 2 parts vinegar and 1 part soy sauce. Spice it up with minced fresh garlic and sliced fresh chili pepper. I usually add some type of chopped green like cilantro, scallions, chives or Thai basil, depending on what I have growing in the garden.
This is also good to freeze for future use. Fry and serve when you have unexpected guests or even on parties. These make good appetizers or cocktail foods, cut it in half on the diagonal and arrange on a platter with the sauce.
To freeze, place the un-fried eggrolls on a tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Once they are firm, they can be stored in quart size plastic freezer bags and store in the freezer until you are ready to use them.