Make the dough.
- 1 c water
- 3 1/4 c bread flour
- 3 T sugar
- 1 t salt
- 3 T dry milk
- 1/4 c butter
- 2 t instant yeast
Rise the dough in the bread maker.
If not using a bread maker, use lukewarm water and knead using a stand mixer on medium speed until it sticks clean to the beater. Transfer into a slightly oiled bowl, Cover with plastic wrap.
Rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until double in size.
Cook the meat filling.
- 1 medium potato, diced . Fry in 3 T olive oil until golden.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 finely chopped onions
- 1 bay leaf or 3 pieces if using fresh bay leaf
- 1 t dried oregano or 1/4 c fresh oregano
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, according to taste
- Optional ingredients: mushrooms, olives
- In a pan, brown the ground beef with 1 tsp salt and bay leaf. Discard fat, if any.
- Add 3 T olive oil, garlic and onion to the beef. Saute until the onion is clear.
- Add the tomatoes, soy sauce, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, cover, stirring once in a while and cook until the meat is tender and the tomatoes have turned into sauce.
- Add the raisins and if using, mushrooms and olives. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stir to make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Season with additional salt and pepper according to taste.
- The resulting dish must not be saucy in order not to saturate the dough.
- Cool before using.
Now we are ready to fill the buns. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a slightly floured surface, turn the dough and divide into 14 pieces or each one should weigh between 50 and 52 grams. Form each piece into a ball.
Flatten each ball and put about 3 T of meat filling in the middle, gather the edges and seal. Place in a non-stick baking pan with the sealed side down.
Put a piece of square wax paper underneath each bun if the pan is not non-stick.
Beat 1 egg and brush the top of each filled bun for a shiny golden color.
Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy.
To warm later using a toaster oven, bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees.