While visiting Manila, my cousin brought us to Conti’s Restaurant. This salad is a popular item on the restaurant’s menu and a cousin asked if I can try to recreate it. Though I find the dressing to be on the sweet side, the ingredients are nonetheless very fresh and it is served cold as lettuce salads should be, it’s quite refreshing actually on that very hot and humid day.
This is my rendition of this Mango Royale Salad dressing. I could be wrong but the moment I tasted the dressing, what came to mind was the taste of Nestle Cream which is used as the dressing for the Filipino fruit salad. I think it came pretty close to how I remember the taste. I only had it once, didn’t pay much attention to it, didn’t think I would have to repeat it.
So I am going out on a limb here but here’s what I came up with for the dressing:
- 1 can of Nestle Cream. I don’t usually use canned cream but I think that the fresh cream will impart a different taste. I used the entire can as I don’t know where else to use it for the moment. I refrigerated the rest and maybe I’ll think of something else to make with it.
- start with 3 T to 1/4 c Condensed milk to suit your sweet tooth.
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- Using a hand-held blender, mix to incorporate everything.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the salad use:
- lettuce head, wash, dry and cut
- carrot, Julienne cut using a mandolin or cut into very thin strips
- ripe mango, peel and dice
On a chilled plate assemble the lettuce, spread the carrots, top with a dollop of cream and diced mango on top.
Try and do give me a feedback, positive or not.