This has been a family favorite. This is also a regular in our backyard summer parties. As the Koreans, we like to eat this with all the trimmings especially kimchi. This is also very good eaten with Vietnamese salad made of thin vermicelli and vegetables with nuoc cham. I usually make big batches of this and I haven’t been measuring my ingredients accurately. So for the purpose of this post, I went back to my very first Korean cookbook, The Korean Cookbook by Judy Hyun, I purchased in 1983. The book refers to this as Kalbi Kui. Short Ribs in Sweet Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs short ribs, sliced into 1/2 inch thick across the bones, remove excess fat.
- 2 scallions, sliced about 1 inch long
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 2 T sugar
- dash of black pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced. This is not on the original recipe but I think it works well with garlic.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the ribs and mix well. Let it stand for 3o minutes to marinate.
- Grill or cook in the oven broiler. Cooking time will vary on how well done the meat is preferred.
My husband likes to dip this in a mixture of soy sauce and vinegar. All I can say is prepare to overeat!