I picked up the idea to add pasta to Greek salad from a local supermarket pamphlet. You can make your favorite Greek Salad recipe and just add cooked pasta to it. Here’s what I did which we brought to last night’s church potluck.
- 1/2 lb of uncooked penne. Cook al dente following the package instruction. When done, drain, put in a bowl and add 1 T of extra virgin olive oil to prevent them from sticking to each other. Let it cool.
- 2 cups of sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch square. I used the mini sweet peppers which come in yellow, red and orange colors
- 2 cups of diced cucumbers
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 chayote, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 cup of olives
- 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, or cut-up regular tomato
- 1/4 lb feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
For the dressing: Mix the following in a bowl. Adjust the salt to your taste.
- 1/2 cup of white balsamic vinegar or any wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T mustard. I like to use the coarse ground with whole mustard seeds.
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Put all the cut-up vegetables and pasta in a bowl, except the olives and cheese. Add the dressing and mix. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Just before serving, add the olives and feta cheese and mix gently.
I like to serve it on a bed of baby spinach.